Sunday, December 21, 2014

AZCulture.com Featured Artist Sneak Peek - Luke Dorsett

Photographer Luke Dorsett
By Matt Marn

Published by AZCulture.com

Luke Dorsett has lived and traveled the world over, from here in Phoenix to Japan, Brazil, Australia, and beyond. His camera lens and eye for storytelling have followed him on his countless adventures, and his work continues to draw attention wherever he goes.

As we sit, reviewing picture after vibrant picture he has captured along the way, they display more than a great eye for beauty and detail; the stories told by the images point to a fearlessness - an adventurous spirit, ready to follow wherever the road turns next.

Ever since he was very young, Dorsett knew tomorrow is never a given. When he was 4, his appendix ruptured, but the doctors didn't believe him, since they had never seen a case that young. He was misdiagnosed at first, and it almost cost him his life.

"I realized, life is short - your days aren't promised to you," Dorsett said. You've got to live each day for what it's worth. I think that realization has made me fearless, in a way, to go after what I want."

Ever since, he has applied his tenacity to everything in life, including what he does and where he calls home.

A camera has been in Dorsett's hands from a very early age, when he grew mesmerized by View Masters and kaleidoscopes, and the vivid colors and images behind the lens. By the time his parents gave him a starter Kodak, he was more than ready for the world of photography.

Dorsett also has experience in music, as an electronic DJ, and his music was featured in Australia, Mexico, Japan, and Brazil. But eventually, he found his way back to his first passion, telling stories a thousand words at a time.

"I really dug the visual stuff since I was a kid," he said. "I got sick of the music I was mixing and producing... headphones and speakers forever. Photography is quiet. It gave me the Zen feeling of being at peace. It's almost like a form of meditation: looking back on my work later, going back to revisit those captured moments. Those moments I capture, they are components of my life... things I live and experience, in and out of this country."


Read the rest of this article on Luke Dorsett at AZCulture.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment