Friday, April 4, 2014

Community Spotlight: Benevilla volunteer brings hugs, help to everyone around her

By Matt Marn

When Shirley B. moved into Sun City with her husband in 1991, she knew the pair wanted to find somewhere in the area to volunteer their time. What she did not know was they both would have a tremendous impact on the Benevilla community, and lives all across the area.

“We went in for training when we heard that Benevilla was welcoming new volunteers and that instilled in us the sense of commitment,” she said. “If you’re going to do something, do it. Volunteering should be something you really love.”

Shirley has volunteered with Benevilla ever since, along with her husband. She holds games and events at the St. Clements day center, such as her “Baloney Bingo Parlor,” where she calls bingo games for anyone interested in playing, and provides prizes for the winners.

“I try to make everything fun,” she said.

She got another idea from another staff member who picked up and read a newspaper to the participants during some down time one day. She now reads the newspaper often to the day center participants, calling that activity “Good News.”

“Not all of the participants read the newspaper or are up late enough for the ten o’clock news on television, but they still want to keep up with the news,” Shirley said. “I read them any article I can find: heartwarming stories, a little humor, and even some controversy, like what’s happening in the courts. It also gives the staff some time to catch up with other tasks they have.”

Her husband was very involved in Benevilla, as well. He even created a garden for the St. Clements’s day center. She said it started as a vegetable garden, so the participants could plant and stay involved in keeping the garden growing.

“Everyone loved it so much, they were always out there,” Shirley said. “I came in one day, and the place was empty. I called out, ‘where is everyone?’ I heard, ‘we are all out here!’ They had dedicated a plaque for the garden. It was wonderful.

Before Shirley’s husband passed in 2002, she took some time off to be with him, but after his passing, she didn’t go to counseling – she went straight back to volunteer for Benevilla. Bringing a smile to other people was therapy enough.

“Not long after, at the annual volunteer recognition dinner, Michelle Dionisio – Benevilla’s president and CEO – revealed the surprise recipient of the Volunteer of the Year Award. During the presentation, she said ‘this person greets everyone with smiles and hugs when they come in the morning.’ And I thought, I am so glad I’m not the only one that does that. But when Michelle said, ‘And this person came right back to volunteer after her husband passed away...’ I knew it was me. It was a huge honor. I don’t do this to be recognized, but being recognized really is a very big honor.”

Shirley encourages anyone able to volunteer who is considering contacting Benevilla to do so, and see what an impact it makes on the lives of others – not to mention your own.

“It’s such a little time out of your life,” she said. “Mother Theresa said this about the poorest of the poor, but I feel it applies to everything we do: ‘What you can do, I can’t do. What I can do, you can’t do. But together, we can do wonderful things for the Lord.’ Together, we can be truly great. That’s what Benevilla is all about.”

Shirley said she has been very blessed with good health, and feels the reason is so she can keep volunteering.
“I think that’s the Lord’s purpose for me,” she said.

Shirley has truly brought light to many lives along the way. She always loves to give hugs and a smile to everyone in the building. And sometimes, the result can surprise even herself.


“What do I think volunteering is all about? Well, once there was one participant who was in a wheelchair; I could never understand what he said. Whenever he needed something, I had to ask one of the aides or staff to tell me what he needed. Well, when I put the cloths around the necks of the participants at lunchtime, I give them all a little hug along with it. One day, with this man, I came in for my hug at lunchti
me after putting on his cloth and he turned to me and said – as clearly as I am talking to you now – he said ‘you are an angel.’ I was so moved; I had to step aside for a moment. That’s why I do what I do."

For more on Benevilla and their variety of non-profit services, visit http://www.benevilla.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment